The jokes on Ms. Kothlow

For a change, I often give my students a countdown from ten to pick up their books and quickly run to a new desk in the classroom. This was one of those times. New desk, new partner, new beginning. So 10… 9… 8... [students are scrambling] 7… 6… 5… [I turn to write on the board] 4… 3… 2… [I turn back to the class. The last students sit down. Now everyone is ready, quiet and waiting. But one desk is empty. I look around.] “Where did Alan go?” I ask. Two students giggle. I turn around and Alan, hiding crouched behind the back of my legs, jumps up right against me with this huge grin across his face. I don't smile right away; it was more of a shreek at first. Everyone laughs. I have no idea how I didn't see him. Alan grins, touches my shoulder and looks me in the eyes, slightly apologetically, then turns, throws his fists into the air in triumph and walks to his new desk. A new beginning with a surprise is a good sign for a new beginning I think.